Re: [nafex] Persimmons & Pawpaws in zone 4?

I'm way behind in checking all my NAFEX email messages; the only thing I have
to contribute to this out-of-date discussion is the fact that there is a city
in Michigan called Pawpaw--they probably got the name from the fruit, and it's
probably pretty chilly there!  Give them a try.

Jackie Kuehn

Gordon Nofs wrote:

> I have my doubts on zone 4 for pawpaws. But I say you have nothing to loose
> if you don't try.
>    Gordon
> I had a query recently from a fellow in Onalaska, WI - zone 4, who was
> interested in trying to grow pawpaws(Asimina triloba) there - any thoughts
> on the likelihood that they'll survive or fruit there?
>
> I sent him a few KY-native pawpaw seed for trial planting, but recommended
> he check out some of the northern nurseries that propagate pawpaws,
> like  Ken Asmus' OIKOS Tree Crops, John Gordon's nursery, and the Sibleys
> at Tollgate G&N.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing of any experience any of you NAFEXers in
> harsher winter climates might have had in growing either pawpaws or
> persimmons.
>
> Lucky Pittman
> USDA Zone 6
> Hopkinsville, KY

Join Audio Book Club today and receive 4 Audio Books for 1 cent PLUS a Free Cassette Player. Choose from hundreds of the latest audio books, everything from John Grisham to Sydney Sheldon.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ongTeA/ZncCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM