Re: [nafex] tip bearing apple varieties?

"victoria l. caron" wrote:

> You can add Paula Red to that list of tip bearers. It's growth habit
> is so willowy I call it the 'Tree form Hell' when it comes to pruning.
> I now am
> trying summer pruning to try to control it a bit. There is another
> golden apple whose habit is almost identical with PR. I'll look it up
> and add it
> later.
> Vic zone 3 NH

Does the climate make a difference on tip bearing or could it be the
culture too.
I do a lot of summer pruning rather than waiting for winter.
I don't have any tip bearing.
This is on the Oregon coast, a cool marine climate.
My  ripening dates are a lot later here than you people back east
report.
In contrast blooming time is earlier here.
Sam
PS: You mention in pomona a rhubarb-blackberry pie as being one of your
favorites.
Could you post the recipe?
We grow lots of blackberries, Mostly Chester as it seem to do very well
here and is thornless and upright. So it is easy to maintain.

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVVCC/YKfCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM