[nafex] Re: bags for bugs

I bagged the pears at about dime size, while I was thinning.  Around
here that is usually before first moth flight but depending on
weather it can be concurrent.  I just don't like to be thinning
freshly sprayed fruit.  Fruit that is damaged by the first moth
flight doesn't seem to make it to maturity, it goes bad and falls off
well before late August when they ripen.  It is certainly possible
that most of the damage was done by bugs crawling in through the top
as it is difficult to get a tight seal.  The majority of the bags did
not have a hole chewed through it.  The holes were circular and less
than a 1/16-inch diameter. Maybe it was mature moths chewing out?  I
still have the bags but I haven't reapplied them.  Much as I hate the
every two week spray schedule it seems to be the only way to keep the
fruit.
--- In nafex@y..., "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@i...> wrote:
> I used Taiyo bags (green inside bag) a few years ago to improve
colour in
> Jonagolds.  They definitely improved the colour, they were labour-
intensive, and
> it was difficult to tie the bags so bugs could not get in via the
hole at stem
> end.
>
> Was the damage to the bagged apples done by codling moth?
> When did you bag the pears?   Before codling moths were flying?
>
> I found that bald-faced hornets did take a thin layer off the paper
bag for their
> nests, and earwigs did get in through the hole at the stem end, but
nothing chewed
> a hole in the bag - does anyone have any idea of what pest would be
chewing holes
> at the end of the season?        I suppose the codling moth could
try to chew
> their way out of the bag, but I wouldn't think they'd bother, or
have the brains,
> to chew their way in.
>
> One good side effect of the bags was that I had no hail damage
while conventional
> growers lost most of their apple crop.
>
> Derry
>
> Derry Walsh & Bill Chase  email:wchase@i...
> Aldergrove,  B. C.,  Canada
> phone/fax (604) 856-9316
> Home web page  http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVVCC/YKfCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM