RE: [nafex] mowing-voles-mulch-grafting

Greetings Del.  We put down hay mulch around newly planted trees until they
are able to fend for themselves (five years), with great success (just
finished spreading about 200 bales).  This mulch moderates soil
temperatures, reduces moisture loss and feeds the trees gradually.  With
mature trees we allow the grass to grow under the tree canopy and sickle mow
it around the first cutting of hay in our area and let it decompose in
place.  We sickle mow again just before harvest.  After leaf fall we flail
mow under the tree canopy to break up fallen leaves and remaining grass
mulch.

I suspect your mower does not mow under the trees but rather shoots the
clippings under the tree canopy from the rows.  To decrease vole habitat you
might consider raking the mulch/clippings into your rows in fall and then in
early spring mow the clippings back under your trees.  This will help break
up the leaves and reduce scab spore load.  To assist in breaking up the leaf
litter and mulch you might consider mulching blades for the mower.  Last
point, we used fibreglass screening for the first time this past winter with
great success - no damage whatsoever.

Best regards,

Gord Hawkes
Log Cabin Orchard