Re: [nafex] Nafex Conference

Derry,

I see Ray Davis has sent you an attachment about the NAFEX conference. For
those of you who don't want to dig into your attachment file, I am pasting
here the conference information that was sent to me to be printed in the
current issue of the Pome News for the Home Orchard Society of Northwest
Oregon and Southwest Washington.

Betty Mayfield, editor,
Pome News

                                    NAFEX & HOS Joint Conference
                                   September 12 - 13 - 14, 2001

     Our Conference headquarters will be the Rivershore Hotel, 1900
Clackamette Drive, Oregon City, Ore. 97045, Phone 1-800-443-7777, or
1-503-605-7141. (Oregon City is just south of Portland) Air service is
through Portland International Airport. All major car rental agencies
are located at the airport. The Rivershore Hotel is located by I-205, a
major freeway from the airport.

     Tuesday evening, Sept. 11, 2001, and Wednesday evening, Sept. 12,
Home Orchard Society will have a hospitality room open from 5 to 9
p.m. for getting acquainted and early conference registration.

TOURS:
     Wednesday, Sept. 12, 2001, all-day tour, by bus, up the Columbia
River Gorge to Hood River. Destination is the Mid-Columbia Research
Station. They have extensive plantings of pears and apples. Our second
stop will be a large organic fruit farm. They are into everything from
composting to cider making. A box lunch will be included.
     Friday, Sept. 14, 2001, all-day bus tour to Salem and Corvallis. First
stop, Lucile Whitman Nursery. Lucile is a NAFEX expert on Ribes and
has graciously invited us to visit. We will picnic on her lawn before
traveling to Corvallis to visit the National Clonal Germplasm Rep-
ository. They are the repository for many small fruits as well as pears,
quince, pawpaws and hardy kiwis. The afternoon will not be long
enough to see all they have to offer.

CONFERENCE:
     Thursday, Sept. 13, 2001, an all-day conference will be held at Still
Meadow Conference Center, Carver, Ore. Registration will begin at 8
a.m. A fascinating variety of speakers is scheduled throughout the day.
Lunch and the evening banquet will be in the same location. The
Conference Center is in a peaceful rural setting. As the name suggests,
the buildings are located in a beautiful meadow surrounded by
woodlands. Quiet paths invite you to walk through the old growth
timber.
     Saturday, Sept. 15, 2001, Home Orchard Society will have an open
house at their Arboretum located at Clackamas Community College.
Any conference attendees or HOS  members who will be in the area on
Saturday are invited to join us for a visit.
     Saturday & Sunday, Sept. 15 & 16, Nick Botner has invited people
to visit his orchard of over 1000 varieties of apples and other fruit. If
you are traveling south through the Willamette Valley, you are welcome
to observe and taste the fruit at his orchard, 4015 Eagle Valley Road,
Yoncalla,Ore. Phone 541-849-2781

The Home Orchard Society board of directors is looking forward to
welcoming NAFEX and HOS members to this fruit exploring event.

Questions or information call Joanie Cooper, President., Home Orchard
Society, 7920 S.E.Amity Rd., Amity, Ore. 97101, Ph: 503-835-5040,
E-mail: <cooperj@macnet.com>, Fax: 503-835-9703.

Registration: Cathy Davis, 26482 Cannon Rd., Rainier, Ore. 97048,
Ph: 503-556-9784, E-mail: <raydavis@crpud.net>.

Hotel Reservations: Rivershore Hotel, 1900 Clackamette Drive, Oregon

At 10:37 AM 6/2/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>On May 27, I checked the Nafex web site for news of the Conference (costs,
>registration forms, speakers, etc.)
>
>None of that information is available on the site which was last updated
March 11.

>I emailed Jackie Cooper and Cathy Davis (names given as contacts for
Conference)