Re: [nafex] Arbor, Grape Training

Hi Tom,
What I think you're describing is the U or Lyre trellis system.  If you
want to know more about constructing and success stories with this system
(and others) I's recommend the book "Sunlight into wine : a handbook for
winegrape canopy management" by Richard Smart and Mike Robinson; Adelaide :
Winetitles, 1991 (1998 printing).
Unfortunately, it does not describe grapevine training, specifics posed in
your question.  I also had very little success finding online resources,
either.  One source, however, was: Training Systems for New York Vineyards:
http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/hort/faculty/pool/train/trainandstocks.html.
This site compares describes the Lyre along with Geneva Double Curtain
(GDC), so that may be an option for you, too.
Since you live in the Ontario area, you may want to contact the Cool
Climate Oenology and Viticulture Institute - Brock University, there in
Ontario, Canada http://www.brocku.ca/ccovi/.  They may have more info than I.
Best of luck to you,
(Have a GRAPE day!)  :)
---------Suzi

At 10:11 AM 06/09/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello,
>I have a grape arbor, or is the right term pergola, that I put up last
>year, and I need advice on how to train the vines.
>Each corner post has a 45 degree angled support.  It would resemble the
>letter "Y".  I want to train a vine/side shoot up each angle and the main
>post.  How do you best do this?
>Should I have three vines coming up from the ground, one following each
>angle and one on the main, or train side shoots off a single main vine
>coming up from the ground?
>I was advised that having a second vine would be good insurance in case
>one dies.
>I only planted one plant at each corner, but this season I am faced with
>some new bottom growth, and some longer growth from last year.
>So I need to decide which to trim off, and which to train.
>Thanks for any advice.
>Regards,
>Tom
>--
>Thomas Olenio
>Ontario, Hardiness Zone 6a

Head Librarian, Paul Evans Library of Fruit Science
SMSU Research Campus and Missouri Fruit Experiment Station
9740 Red Spring Rd, Mountain Grove, MO 65711
Phone: 417-926-4105, Fax: 417-926-6646,  email: srt175f@smsu.edu
Member: CBHL, USAIN, ALA, ACRL, IAALD