[nafex] Re: Origin of the Evans

I just got off the phone with Dr Evans, so here is more on the Evans
and its origin (and probable reason that Del heard that it came from
England):

Evans cherry
A Mrs Borward from the Henwood area near Edmonton, Alberta has been
growing the Evans since about 1923. She is in her 80's now and says
that she got the seeds from her neighbors who got these from
the "English" which according to Dr Evans actually meant "Americans"
and specifically from Minnesota as the Minnesotans largely settled
this part of Edmonton. These Minnesotans were probably of either
Ukranian or Norwegian decent and had probably been growing this
cherry since the late 1800's.
Dr Evans discovered this cherry in 1976 and slowly but surely got
people interested in trying it.
Some outstanding points of the Evans are:
The highest yields in MI are about 50 pounds per tree. The Evans
produces around 150 pounds per tree!
It does very well in light soil. Heavy soil it does ok but tends to
be winter damaged more.
Blossoms are not killed by temps as low as five below centigade,
which is quite remarkable for a sour cherry.
Kevin Bradley

> Del and others interested:
> Here are my notes on the origin of the Evans, as per Dr Evans
> "Probably brought from Minnesota in first place, 100 years ago or
so.
> It is probably NOT an escapee from the Alberta Tree Nursery".  (in
> the FN and B Inventory it says that it may be that it originally
came
> from this nursery, this info was supplied by me, later to be
learned
> that the original Evans cherry probably had nothing to do with that
> nursery except the coincidence that the original tree was found
NEAR