[nafex] Re: Just a second Doreen

Doreen wrote:

Multiple crowns provide more flower stalks.  So for pure production,
you get
                 more in a confined space.  Plus, the fruit size will
be bigger due to better
                 plant vigor.  This has worked for me in the past and
I'm sticking with it.
                 :-)  If I were after long-term production, I'd thin
and let runners form,
                 but I'm not.

My reply:

Interesting.  The other year I wrote about my strawberry method in
POMONA.  Since then a number of NAFEXers have adopted the procedure
and calim success.  But now you have me thinking about multiple
crowns.  I just assumed when I renovated (in my case this consists of
cutting all leaves off at the crown and root pruning each plant with a
sharpened can)that I should also cut out the multiple crowns.   But I
have not experimented.  Since my goal is a very long term planting I
am curious about what effect multiple crowns would have over time.
Any guesses anyone?

Wishing all of you the best,

the fluffy bunny