[nafex] FW: FRUIT VARIETY SHOWCASE

----------
From: "\"Jerome L \\\"Jerry\\\" Frecon\"" <frecon@aesop.rutgers.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <peach@hubcap.clemson.edu>
Subject: FRUIT VARIETY SHOWCASE
Date: Thu, Aug 30, 2001, 7:56 PM

 A Fruit Variety Showcase will be held on Tuesday Evening September 11,
2001 beginning at 6. p.m. at the Rutgers Fruit Research and Extension
Center at Cream Ridge, New Jersey.  The Station is located on Rt. 539
near the village of Cream Ridge south of Allentown, New Jersey.  The
station is located about  15 minutes from Exit 7A of the New Jersey
Turnpike
    We hope to have between 200 and 300 varieties of peaches,
nectarines, plums and pluots picked between August 11, and  September
10, 2001.  The varieties have been grown in various research trials and
variety blocks in north, central, and southern New Jersey.   We also
hope to have about 25  to 50 varieties of early apple varieties.
    As many of you know the New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station
has had a peach breeding program for almost 100 years.  The program
currently under the direction of Dr. Joe Goffreda has many exciting new
varieties in various stages of development.  We also will have many
selections from growers orchards; Zaiger Genetics and Dave Wilson
Nursery; Paul Friday Breeding Program; Fruit Acres Breeding Program;
USDA Southeastern Fruit Research Program in Byron, Georgia, and many
commercial nurseries.
    Our program will basically begin about 6:00 with a tour of the NC
140 peach rootstock planting, and a visit to a couple new selections
that may be introduced.  We will then look at the varieties on display
and discuss the most important ones.  A discussion will also be made on
how the post harvest evaluations are being made.
    If you a a fruit variety nut like myself and love to taste peaches
we'd love to have you visit us.  Bob Belding, Jerry Frecon, Joe Goffreda
and Win Cowgill, Rutgers Cooperative Extension and the New Jersey
Agricultural Experiment Station

    Here are a few hotels in the Bordentown area, Exit 7 on NJ Turnpike.

    Holiday Inn Express (609) 298-3200
    Days Inn (609) 298-6100
    Best Western (609) 298-8000
    Econo Lodge (609) 298-5000

[Image]

Rutgers Fruit Research and Extension Center,
              Cream Ridge
For More Information Contact
                                          Rutgers Fruit R&E Center
                                          283 RT 539