Re: [nafex] raspberry transplanting

Del: I don't think you want to transplant berries unless they are dormant both when they come out and go back into the ground.  It sounds as if the
plants you tried to share were in an active phase of growth.  I think I would wait until early spring, as soon as you can get a spade into the
ground.  Rgds, Don Yellman

del stubbs wrote:

> can't remember if I posted this already......
>
> This spring I offered autumn bliss shoots to fellow nafexers.
> They were coming up quite beautifully in the path and thought I'd save some
> from the rototiller. I sent 20 or so of 6 to 12" new green plants with about
> 6" of year old root to 2 people. I clipped off all the leaves except
> terminal ones. They arrived in good condition and recieved reasonable to
> exceptional care by the transplanters (watering, shade protection etc.)
> All died.  I new it was a gamble, trying to transplant such tender growth,
> but it is such a waste to just plow them under if they can be transplanted.
> I realized later that perhaps it would make more sense to snip them off
> above the first leaf and let them propagate from the petiole base.
> Has anyone sucessfully transplanted new growth?
> I have a patch of 6 boyne in their second year, I'm looking for suggestions
> as how best to divide and propagate these into a proper row. I'm willing to
> dig up and divide the whole patch if that is the best method. In the fall or
> spring?  Thanks, Mn. Del

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!