Re: [nafex] The summer of my discontent (some things off topic)

re: net.whine

Chris:

My failures this year (most my fault) include heavy worm and fungus in the
apples.  Pears eaten by deer.  Plum crop destroyed by wind storm.  Over
sprayed 1/2 the tomatoes and my 11 year old daughters favorite rose bush
with roundup.  Killed um dead.

Successes include -

1.  Learned the uses of Neem oil.
2.  Bumper crop of seeded concord grape and the wild turkeys have left them
alone for now.  Jelly making continues this weekend.
3.  Raspberries by the hat full.  (All raspberries planted by the package
instructions died.  The ones that thrived rooted through the bottom of the
containers I had left in an old flower bed).  Second year raspberries
growing well from self rooting.
4.  Those tomatoes I did not kill put on enough fruit so that I can't keep
them picked.  I traded tomatoes and squash for enough figs to make jam.
5.  Finally got my wife to tell me what she did with the fig cuttings I had
ordered last fall.  She thought they were "dead sticks" and used them to
start a fire (deep sigh).
6.  Looks like the english walnuts will be the best in years.

Ward Barnes
Coastal Zone 7/8
Wake, Middlesex County, VA.

Monitoring Service trial