Re: [nafex] Cornus Kousa fruit

>>I stumbled across a Corus Kousa tree today, and I was anxious to try
>>its fruit.  I was surprised in how sweet it was, though the skin was a
>>little bitter and the flesh was very mealy. I was wondering what other
>>people thought of the fruit and is there a way of getting rid of the
>>mealyness.  Better yet, are there any varieties that are superior?
>
>Don't know how much selection has been made for fruit quality, as C.kousa
>has principally been utilized as an ornamental, in this country, but there
>are at least a couple of selections that have been made, based on larger
>fruit size.  "Big Apple" is one, listed by Mike Dirr, in his Manual of
>Woody Landscape Plants(don't have it here at the office, so I don't know
>where it's available).

I have (surprise surprise) not found that flavor and texture are
automatically superior in large fruited trees. I like them best when you
can just bite a tiny hole in the fruit and suck it dry- "custard texture"
I guess you could say. "Mealy" sounds dreadful, and I've experienced
mealy kousa fruit, although it can also be mealy when it isn't soft
enough yet. Anyone who's not stuck in pre-conceptions of what a fruit is
supposed to be, likes a good kousa fruit... most young children seem to
take to them.
-Rick

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search