Re: [nafex] liberty apple

It sure helps if you let us know where you're gardening. Please add your state or
zone to your signature.

In south coastal BC, the Liberties are ready for picking.  They are sweet and
crisp.  If you have had a few days with temps greater than 28°C, the spots might
be sunscald.  Usually the spots occur on the south west side of the tree.
Sprinkling with water for 15 mins in every hour while temp is above 28°C will
reduce sunburn.   If you are low in calcium, these might be symptoms of a
calcium-deficiency disease such as bitter pit.

I think it's one of the varieties that can be eaten straight off the tree.  I
store mine in a cooler (1-2°C) until they are sold.

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase  email:  wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove,  B. C.,  Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Home web page  http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
:        I' ve waited 5 yrs. for this liberty and find I can't take the
:   tartness. The books says to let it mellow a while. How long I wonder
:  & where? In the fridge or a cool cellar or room temp. Any help would
: be appreciated. It sure doesn't taste like it's daddy and it isn't
:  problem free either. Almost every apple has a large blister spot.
:  Anyone know how to prevent this? I really should not complain as it
:  is free from most other diseases.
:
:                           Sincerely,
:                              Chris Duffy
:                         sueandchrisduffy@worldnet.att.net

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!