[nafex] Re: Apple quality

"I have read of Ben Davis apples a century ago being shoveled out of boxcars into the buckets of housewives"

When doing research for a history paper a couple years ago, I spent a lot of time reading old reports of the Connecticut State Board of Agriculture.  One thing I remember finding was there had been a rapidly increased concern about apple quality and shipping damage during the early 20th Century.  It seemed to take a lot of prodding to get growers to abandon the traditional barrels in favor of boxes, which yielded better and more visible quality for the buyer.  Thinking about it after reading the recent apple quality posts, I wonder if there was also a widespread change to "tender" commercial varieties at the time, since the use of boxes plus general transportation improvements should have eliminated much of the advantage "tough" varieties had in the barrel days.
Bruce Wittchen
W. Hartford, CT
herenorthere@lycos.com

http://clubs.lycos.com/live/events/september11.asp