Re: [nafex] Pest resistant apples

Gord:

     During the 70s and early 80s when we were attempting to do it under a so-called "organic" regime, I too noted a few cvs. (out of several
hundred) which had relative resistance to the ungodly large number of fruit insect pests here, even some with resistance to curculio (for several
fruiting years).
    However, early on in the game I came in contact with an entomologist at Purdue who spent near his entire life attempting to ascertain methods of
screening for mite resistance in apple.  And he never could factor in reliable ways to simply screen for them, let alone find any with genetic
resistance.
     Also, during this period I went on many, many wild-goose chases around the eastern US looking at the "old trees which bore clean fruit every
year".  When I budded them here, they became equally susceptible to everything which existed here!!!
     Keep in mind that we live in Heaven where all things are allowed to live and flourish, even someone as contemptable as me!!!!!

Ed, So. Indiana, blissful paradise!!

Gord Hawkes wrote:

> Greetings all.  First I apologize to any who saw this message on the apple
> crop list.  I have noticed that some apples tend to be more pest (not
> disease) resistant than others.  We grow our apples organically and have
> found that generally Macs are rather pest resistant and Cortlands are
> terribly pest prone.  I would like to hear the experience of others - I
> realize there are many variables at play but I'd be interested in hearing
> what others have noticed.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Gord Hawkes
> Log Cabin Orchard