[nafex] Re: Pest resistant apples

Another thing that comes to my mind is in an orchard situation w/
multiple varieties that bug pests might prefer one variety over
another.  Both apples would be equally vunerable, but if the bug has
a "choice" the prefered one will be attacked (in that way it might be
acting as a sacrifice for the other).  Given the tremendous
population growth insect pests can have I don't know if this is a
reasonable theory.  The vunerable cultivars would certainly act as a
source of future pest attacks.

I have noticed some slight evidence that the growth of some cultivars
may be more attractive to deer than others, though it may be just the
fact that the cultivar was more in their normal path.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@y..., Tom Olenio <tolenio@s...> wrote:

> jhecksel@v... wrote:
>
> > Ed Fackler wrote:
>
> > I think it would be an interesting
>
> > experiment to try to mimic, and then manipulate, the
> > variables that
> > these mythical trees grow in.
> >
> > -Severe N stress (Two things happen:  Alternate bearing so
> > no host
> > every other year and low protein available for worms,
> > etc.)
> > -Many hungry animals constantly scouring the ground for
> > windfalls
> > (which I believe the trees tend to release earlier than
> > healthiest
> > fruit.
> > -Nearest alternate host tree +200 yards (200 meters) away.
>
> Hi,
>
> Don't forget larger populations of predator insects/birds
> that eat inscet pests.
>
> Tom

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search