Re: [nafex] Persimmon recommendations for zone 5

Meader is NOT a self-fertile persimmon, advertising to the contrary.  It IS
a member of the "Early Golden" group and as such will produce the
occaisional limb of male flowers, and THEN it will set without a male tree
planted nearby. Meader DOES set seedless fruit here in Oregon, but it's some
sort of environmental factor we haven't figured out yet - in most of the
country it won't set without a male, and then it sets seeded fruit.
You might want to try some of the other American persimmons, like Szukis,
which truly IS self-fertile, able to set perfect flowers, which will develop
into normal, seeded fruits, or Jim Claypool's F-100, which is genetically
male, but which sets both small seedless fruit and regular, seeded fruits.
-Lon Rombough
----------
>From: edforest55@hotmail.com
>To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [nafex] Persimmon recommendations for zone 5
>Date: Fri, Oct 5, 2001, 3:15 PM
>

>Anyone have any recommendations for persimmon varieties in zone 5?
>I assume that I would have to use the D. virginiana as a rootstock
>since the lotus one and the kaki are too cold tender right?
>Thanks.
>PS I think that the Meader sounded like the best choice, no seeds,
>self fertile, productive, annual, with fruit that has quality and
>size, that is, if I recall accurately.
>kevin Bradley

>4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting and
>NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Pv4pGD/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM