Re: [nafex] Apple Pie Apple Sauce

Adding my 2 cents worth on apple pies.  The ones that taste the best in my
house contain 3 different apple varieties (a tart, a sweet and a very
crisp), brown sugar (for the molasses) and apple cider.  The usual mix is
Granny Smith or Ashmead's Kernel, Winesap or Esopus Spitzenburg and Cameo,
Gala, Fuji or Honey Crisp.  What is used depends on if I've been to the
Vorbeck orchard lately or if I'm relying on local apples.  Actually, I don't
make apple pies, because my crust is awful.  I make huge pans (10 X 13-inch
baking dishes) of apple cobbler.  It gets eaten immediately around here.

While we are on the apple edibles topic.  Jill Vorbeck told me how she
reduces apple cider into a glaze or syrup for basting fowl or fruit.  I
tried it with terrific results.  I took a 1/2 gallon of cider and simmered
it for a couple hours, stirring often, until it was reduced to 1 cup.  I
used it to glaze the Thanksgiving turkey, and it was fantastic. A couple of
tablespoons of the reduced cider were left, and I poured it over baked
apples.  Scrumptious!!

Doreen Howard,
who is apple-tree-deprived currently, but hopes to remedy that sad state
soon.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!