[nafex] Bait and Switch

    I had an interesting demonstration of a decoy for apple maggots this
year.
    I have a standard tree of Cox's Orange Pippin with a large limb of
Liberty in it.   Besides the fact that the Liberty ripens later than the
C.O.P, the foliage in the standard tree was heavy enough that the Liberty
was quite slow to color.  The result was that the apple maggot flies all
went to the C.O.P. which showed color earlier, and by the time the Liberty
colored, there were no flies left around apparently.  There was an odd
codling moth larva in the Liberty, but less than 5% had maggots, compared to
over half the C.O.P.
    I'll have to make sure to get red sticky spheres out early to keep the
C.O.P. clear next year.

    Incidently, I saved seed from the Liberty, since it's main pollinator
would have been the C.O.P.  If anyone wants to try growing it for a possible
cross of the two varieties, let me know.
-Lon Rombough
Aurora, OR.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Gi0tnD/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM