Re: [nafex] Fall rasp. choices

I'm growing Fall Red raspberries in zone 6, eastern MA.  I don't know
how the timing compares to the others you mention, but they seem pretty
frost resistant.  We've had a couple of nights in the 20s.  The tomatoes
are black, the basil is long gone.  The last few berries continue to
ripen, with no protection at all.  I just picked some today, and while
some were overripe (the end of daylight savings time means it's dark
when i get home, so I don't pick berries) several were terrific - as
good as at the height of the season.

I remember being surprised last year that the raspberries kept ripening
after we'd had some frosts, so I don't think this is just a fluke.  The
row does have excellent air drainage, but I actually saw frost on the
leaves, so I'm sure they got cold.  One downside is that they don't seem
to stop flowering until it gets pretty chilly.

I think the quality is pretty good.  Certainly better than Heritage
(which always tastes dry and bland to me.)  The berries range from
smallish to medium in size, and I don't know what zone they are rated
to.

Ginda Fisher