[nafex] vole surprise

What a surprise I had yesterday when I went out to put on mouse guards
in my small nursery. I was so happy to have a chance to do it,
especially on a day when the weather was not bad. Usually I get it done
closer to Thanksgiving and freeze my hands. Last year, I hardly managed
to get any wrapped, only the hardest to replace. Also, last year the
voles got ALL my carrots which are in the same plot as the nursery.
Despite the fact that the trees were largely unprotected, I had no vole
damage this spring except for one tree on the other side of the house.
It was the closest tree to the gravel drive with no grass or anything
around it and it was completely girdled. I bridged it and it continues
to grow.
Yesterday, I found over 40 of the 100 or so trees I wrapped already
girdled! There doesn't seem to be a common link anywhere as far as
weeds/no weeds, age or location of the trees. One complete row that was
pre sold is gone! I wrapped them all anyway, with a vengeance. Those
little suckers are not getting one more bite!
vic NH zone 3