Re: [nafex] voles, screen, and rubber cement

Hi
I've been reading all the struggles with voles and other evil creatures, and
would like to put in a piece.
We have horrific problems with the diggers- our yard looks like it's being
plowed sometimes. I got a Jack Russel to get rid of them, but the solution
was worse than the problem!
Current dog catches an occasional slow one, but for the most part they do
what they want.
So far, I've only found one thing that will stop them here- cat pee.
Seriously. I have a row of espaliered apples along the edge of my kitchen
garden between that and the pasture behind it, and it was acting like a
highway for them. They were protected from the dog by the garden fence, they
loved the rubber strips I had laid down as neat little paths, they appreciate
any mulch that I put down as well. Finally, in desperation, I started
emptying the litter box down the row of trees. Bingo!
They completely stopped coming in that way, and when they tried to leave the
yard they wouldn't cross it either. They made a scallop pattern as they
worked their way down the row of trees and kept bumping into the path of the
litter.
So far it's been at least 3 months since we got rid of the cat, and still
they have not crossed it. Anyway, it's worth a try!
Amy
z7, Virginia