[nafex] Re: British Sovereign Strawberries

Good question! I have been working for a LONG time to get all of the fruit inventories ready for the web. However my efforts have been confounded by numerous obstacles (which I won't detail here). It is my hope that everything will be ready by the end of this year. I will send an annoucement to this list serve when the time comes. Thanks.

Margie

>>> marklee3@onebox.com 11/14/01 04:06pm >>>
Margie,
At the website of the Canadian Clonal Genebank, I found a chart of
apples included in your collection,
http://res2.agr.ca/harrow/ccg/chart99.htm .
Is there a similar online chart for other fruit?
-Mark Lee, Seattle

--- In nafex@y..., "Margie Luffman" <luffmanm@E...> wrote:
> Hello again. I went through some of my reference material and found
mention of a couple other 'old' cultivars that came from British
Columbia: Empire All Red (1934) and New Victoria (1930). Aggasiz was
released in 1957 from the highly successful breeding program at the
Vancouver Research Station. Of these, only Aggasiz is in the Genebank
as well as more modern ones from British Columbia and other parts of
Canada.  The Genebank also has a very large holding of indigenous
Fagaria chiloensis collected from the BC coast and all the way up the
Queen Charlotte Islands. F. chiloensis (the Pacific Coast strawberry)
has a geographical distribution from Chile to Alaska.

> Margie
>
> Margie Luffman
> Curator, Canadian Clonal Genebank Program
> Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada
> Greenhouse and Processing Crops Research Centre
> 2585 County Road 20
> Harrow, Ontario
> N0R 1G0
>
> Phone: 519-738-2251 ext. 474
> Fax:      519-738-2929
> E-mail:luffmanm@e...

> Margie Luffman wrote:
> >
> > Hello Jojo. The Canadian Clonal Genebank (CCG) has this older
variety in its strawberry holdings. British Sovereign originated in
British Columbia in the 1920's. The  CCG provides germplasm of this
sort at no charge to clients. Please e-mail back to me to confirm
your request. I need your regular mailing address. The plants will be
propagated and shipped next year.

http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel

> I fish because I love to;
> because I love the environs where trout are found,
> which are invariably beautiful
> ... because trout do not lie or cheat
> and cannot be bought or bribed
> or impressed by power,
> but respond only to
> quietude
> and humility
> and endless patience...
>
> -John Voelker (aka Robert Traver)

~-->

> 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a
posting and NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting
was large).

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95