Re: [nafex] Crandall - Buffalo Currant

Like many other fruits, the name Crandall has been used to indicate more than
one selection. Crandall was actually a selectin of seedlings of a variety of
R. Odoratum. There are more than one strain or selection that are "named"
Crandall. Some are better than others but most are very similar.I have a very
good "CRandall" so I do not propagate from seedlings, but use cuttings or
suckers that come up around the planting.

There is also a "Golden Currant" and some that are sold as "Buffalo Currant"
or "Clove  Currants"  that are other selections and are probably produced
from seeds, therefore may be better or worse than "Crandall", or just
different.

I like Crandall, and it is a reliable producer, but is not as good as
selections of R. Nigrum, European black currant. This is just my opinion and
you need to see for yourself the differance. I am testing some selections of
R. Nigrum from Russia that are very good, more palatable "off the bush" than
most of the usual black currants.

Northumberland BerryWorks
707 Front Street
Northumberland, PA 17857