Re: [nafex] Re:manure sublimation

At 03:14 PM 11/27/2001 +0000, you wrote:

> >Much of the N content of herbivore manures sublimates off as
> >ammonia as a result of bacterial action, if it's lying on the soil surface.
> >Lucky Pittman
>
>Didn't know that. Makes me wonder if putting a THIN layer of fresh manure
>around the orchard wouldn't be a disaster, if applied early enough in the
>year.(the cold climate hardening-off problem)  But it could still add
>organic matter and worm activity. Well rotted manure isn't always easy to
>come by.
Personally, I never have any qualms about surface-applying fresh
manure.  Wouldn't want to incorporate fresh manure into a planting hole -
you might encounter some root 'burning', but I'm not totally convinced that
that would even occur, or for that matter, whether such 'burning' would be
due to ammonia or salts.
I don't have the numbers at hand, but I'm not really of the opinion that
manure is really all that high in N.  In a compost pile, I'm sure the
ammonia & other N-containing compounds from fresh manure would help the
decomposers break down the woody materials, but purely as a surface-applied
fertilizer, it takes a lot.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY