Re: [nafex] Re: Clementines?

A green house where I worked some years back grows citrus in the pool room. It's a large greenhouse room fitted out with a back yard size swimming
pool and inground plantings of bananas and citrus. This is in zone 3. The grounds around the pool and plantings are used to start the seeded pansy
plugs before moving them to the business/growing houses after the poinsettia season. He also grew jasmine, bird of paradise and other tropicals.
I also spent quite a few years working with Chinese nationals who had these great little oranges during their new year celebrations. These oranges
were oblong and about 1 1/2 inches by 1" and were eaten peel and all.
vic NH zone 3

crmauch wrote:

> >From what I've read Mandarin oranges and Clementines are the same
> thing.
>
> Actually Tom, if you wanted you probably could raise an orange tree
> in a pot.  I had a friend who kept a mandarin orange tree in an
> unheated "closet" that had a window (room probably didn't go below
> 40 F).  And he got fruit, but not much.  Given your more northern
> location (and less light and hours of light in winter) you might have
> to supplement w/ artificial light.  And I don't think a tree would
> keep you supplied w/ 5 lbs a week :-)
>
> Edible Landscaping sells a Satsuma Mandarin Tangerine. Supposedly
> hardy to 18 F.
> http://www.eat-it.com
>
> Chris Mauchline
> SE PA, zone 6
>
> --- In nafex@y..., Thomas Olenio <tolenio@s...> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Will never be able to grow clementines here in Ontario, but does
> anyone
> > have experience with them?
> >
> > We must eat 5 pounds of clementines a week this time of year and
> just
> > curious what I can learn from fellow NAFEX'rs about them.
> >
> > The wooden crates they come in are handy too.  Lined with plastic
> they are
> > good seed flats.
> >
> > If you have not tried clementines you are really missing a treat.
> >
> > Later,
> > Tom
> >
> > --

Break free. Great