[nafex] Royal Riviera Pears

Dear Phil,

     I had the opportunity to visit the Harry and David operation (now owned
by a Japanese concern) a few years ago when this was the tour site of the
Annual Pear Research Meeting.  The Royal Riveria pear is simply a plain old
Comice, nothing more and nothing less.  These pears (and they have more than
6000 acres of them) are all grown on quince rootstock (BA 29-C) on trees
kept around 10-12 feet tall. Harry and David are unable to fill all of their
orders with their own crop and import most of their pears from Chile,
repackage them as Harry and David Royal Riveria Pears, and sell them. Thus,
your pears may have actually been from Chile, not Oregon.  They still taste
good.  While we were there we were provided the best examples of Comice,
Bosc, Bestever and a few others by the local growers.  I thought the
properly ripened Bosc were actually better than the Comice, but both were
outstanding.

     We can't grow either Bosc or Comice in Houston, but we have some that
when properly ripened (and this is the key) are almost as good.

                                          Regards, Ethan

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM