Re: [nafex] Wanted: Red Flesh Apple Scion Wood

Greetings Claude/Chris and all other great NAFEX'ers:

     Claude has made an outstanding point and I also want to encourage
everyone to write up their experiences in fruit growing.  A starting point
is simply making notes as references about any/all aspects of your
experiences.  Over time, you'll learn what is important enough write down.
      And here is my 2 cents on redfleshed apples.
      From the dozen or so we've had here over the years, I've seen the
following.

     1.  The further south they are grown, the less redflesh pigmentation
develops.  Exceptions are Geneva and Red Giant, both of which are very
acidic and have large size.  Geneva is a triploid (pollen sterile).
     2.  All of them have degrees of scab resistance (not immune).
     3.  All have the soft and fuzzy leaves which are maroonish early in the
season and turning toward greenish maroon as the leaves mature or grow
older.
     4.  Some few possess detectable sugars upon maturity, notably Hidden
Rose and Pink Pearl.  The later can't take our heat at all and is very
susceptible to fireblight.

     Hope this helps.

Ed, So. Indiana, near heaven!!