Re: [nafex] Proper planting technique M111/M9 interstem

I recommend you bury the 109 a few inches.
I planted 10 at various depths about 10 years ago.
The ones that were planted the deepest are doing the best.
The ones where the 109 is above the ground are doing the worst.
When the 109 is above the ground there is a lot os suckering from
the 111 and there is a lot of burring on the 109.
It does not seem to affect the fruiting but it makes maintenance of
the bottom of the trees much more difficult.
Taking off the suckers is a continueing chore.
The burrs look bad but I don't think they hurt the tree.
I am not sure.
The top grafts of the trees are all different apples so maybe it is not
a scientifically correct conclusion.
Good luck.
Sam

On 29 Mar 2002 at 18:14, W3cmp@aol.com wrote:

> Hello all:
>  I'm trying to determine the proper way to plant some M111/M9 interstem
> apples that I grafted last year. I've heard that the proper technique is to
> plant the M111 rootstock/M9 interstem union 1-3" below ground level-that
> makes me wonder if the M9 interstem will root and the M111 characteristics
> will be lost? Thanks for your comments. Chris Patterson
>
>                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

> 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting and
> NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/iZp8OC/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM