Re: [nafex] Re: fungicides for cuttings

Concerning fungicides:

My experience has been with semi hardwood and software cuttings that
have leaves attached.
Prevention of disease is extremely important in the retention of leaves
which is an essential part of the process of rapid rooting.

I recommend spraying the parent plant several times prior to taking the
cuttings. This tends to produce a minimum population from which an
infection can occur.

Clean propagation stock is very important when the cuttings are placed
over bottom heat and are held in a high humidity chamber or mist
propagation is used. In both examples any fungicide applied immediate
prior to sticking the cuttings will quickly wash off and therefore not
be effective in preventing disease organisms from causing economic
damage to blocks of cuttings..

A fungicide dip prior to sticking the cutting or on a regular basis
after the mist propagation spray is shut off for the day should also be
considered. Some propagators also spray dilute fertilizer solutions to
replace nutrients that are leached from the leaves from the application
of mist during the day.

I can not stress enough the important of disinfecting the propagation
unit on a regular basis. This can be accomplished after the rooting of
batches of each cuttings or when a school facility in between semesters.

Always use  registered chemical for the specific plant species and
always follow the label directions for mixing and applying the sprays.

Claude Sweet
San Diego, CA

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.