mad cow and blood meal feeding

I noticed that the  USDA-APHIS  restricion of  Canadian Meat and Meat
Products of last May included a ban on blood meal. I have encounteres
the powerful Cornell Net Carbohydrate and Protein System (CNCPS) used to
set rations for cattle. That system seems to use blood meal  along with
the soy protein  to set the optimum ration. My question is: has USDA
set a ban on use of american blood meal ? and does CNCPS have
alternative vegetarian (soy) replacements for blood meal? finally, is
the blood meal ban realistic?