Re: Regulation of compost teas (was: NOSB loses its head)

Hello Jeff & other saneters following this thread,

Wednesday, October 23, 2002:

JL> It is great how this thing has ranged, but the issue is whether
JL> using sugars to increase bacterial biomass in compost teas is
JL> inconsistent with Organic methods.

It's also about why adding sugar and / or molasses is or isn't
inconsistent with the USDA's organic regulatory framework.

JL> Adding beneficial bacteria and fungi, protozoa and in some cases
JL> nematodes to the soil surely has to be considered within the
JL> scope as Organic.

As I understand it, the issue is not about adding beneficial
bacteria and fungi, protozoa and in some cases nematodes to the
soil. The the issue is about adding adding sugar and / or molasses
to compost teas.

JL> It is exactly analogous to putting mulch down or compost to a
JL> lesser degree.

Obviously, some disagree.

JL> The only issue is does it cause E. coli to grow...... a
JL> conclusion the NOSB reached as a result of what many of us
JL> believe were flawed studies based on personal agendas.... there
JL> were supposed two, not reported and not peer reviewed.

You have no agenda?

JL> Again, adding fungi, bacteria and protozoa is clearly organic.
JL> It is what we all do when we mulch and apply compost. THE ISSUE
JL> IS E COLI AND BAD SCIENCE. AND NOT IF SUGARS ARE FOUND IN
JL> NATURE.....

Thank you for providing your opinion of what THE issue is or isn't.
It will certainly be taken into account.

Douglas

.