Re: Pathogens in the Environment

Hello Alan & other saneters following this thread,

In relation to your post of Monday, November 18, 2002 ion which you said:

AI> Once again it is not the pathogens that we should be focusing
AI> on, but the questionable quality of any material that supports
AI> pathogens. ...If the materials that I am using to produce
AI> fertilizers, soil amendments, or growth enhancers support the
AI> growth of pathogens, I am using the wrong materials.

Alan, don't forget about the process. Take milk, for example: aside
from drinking it fresh, you can use it to make any one of a large
variety of fresh and conservable cheeses, yoghurt, kefir or
buttermilk, while the same liquid can fuel the growth of putrefying
bacteria under different circumstances.

As I understand it, that is what Elaine is expressing, and that is
what Elaine is studying in order to explain how, why and when one thing
happens instead of another.

Just as HACCP can be misused (subjected to a shortsighted design
process) so can milk and compostable materials.

Douglas

.