From: "Bowman, Greg" <greg.bowman@RODALEINST.ORG>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU
Subject: [SANET-MG] Earlier hariy vetch needed here
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 14:13:15 -0400

Rodale Institute Farm Manager Jeff Moyer is planting corn today,
no-tilling with a precision planter on the back end at a fast clip into
a fresh green mat as the front-mounted roller crushes the hairy vetch
just ahead.

One pass. No chemicals. Great mulch, water retention, etc.

Trouble is, we're planting today. May 25. But this is as soon as our
vetch is blooming enough to assure the optimum level of kill (non
re-growth) from the mechanical trauma.

Does anyone in Zone 6b have vetch blooming earlier? Is anyone doing
selective breeding/seed saving to select for earliness of bloom in hairy
vetch that is cold tolerant in eastern Pennsylvania?

To see the roller and a story on the system, see:
 <http://www.newfarm.org/depts/NFfield_trials/1103/notillroller.shtml>
http://www.newfarm.org/depts/NFfield_trials/1103/notillroller.shtml

Greg Bowman
 <file://www.newfarm.org> www.newfarm.org

Visit the SANET-MG archives at:
http://lists.sare.org/archives/sanet-mg.html
For more information on grants and other resources available through the
SARE program, please visit http://www.sare.org.