Re: [SANET-MG] Self-suffiency and Sustainability

Steve:

Baloney.  The profession of Economics is a lap-dog.  The powers that be, political and economic, have co-opted the economics profession, which is entirely a captive of market fundamentalism.

Those brave economists who stray too far from fundamentalism are ignored or worse.  I'm thinking of Nicolas Georgescu-Roegen, Herman Daly, and maybe Kenneth Boulding, from earlier decades.  It is time for economists to get serious and admit the limitations of the market model.

Or, maybe something has changed that I don't know about in the ten years I've been away.

My two cents.

John Lozier
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
West Virginia University Extension Service
PO Box 6108, Morgantown, WV 26506-6108
Telephone 304-293-6256
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

>>> fordmgmt@EARTHLINK.NET 12/24/04 1:14:58 PM >>>
James,
I can't say what ecologists believe, but your generalization of
economists' beliefs is absolutely wrong.  Depletion of resources is of
great concern to economists and there is a huge field devoted to proper
management of those resources and another to the measurement of their
value.  You can argue that the measurement of economic activity based on
GDP ignores natural resource depletion, but there is an effort to
provide green accounting in that area, also.  As an aside, The Economist
magazine this week had a piece on Bhutan and how it has been decreed
there to measure development with GDH (gross domestic happiness) instead
of GDP.  Economists are well aware of the externalities of economic
activity, and the problems arising in non-market valuation of their
worth.

Steve Ford