[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

No Subject

"The effluent takes five days to wind from one end of the greenhouse to
the other. When it reaches the far end, it is filtered by the artificial
marsh - a gravel bed out of which grows a carefully selected thicket of
water-loving plants. The marsh plants are chosen because they have
commercial value (watercress) or pretty blooms (marsh marigold) or known
ability to take up toxic substances (cattails, bulrushes). Organic toxins
are broken down. Heavy metals accumulate in the plants and in any compost
made from the plants. That's a problem, but heavy metals are a problem in
every kind of wastewater treatment plant."
"I learned about these plants from Kathe Seidel at the Max Planck
Institute in West Germany. She's tested 260 plants for purifying ability.
She found that some would take up heavy metals and organic solvents and
even some, like that aquatic iris over there, that exude substances from
their roots that kill pathogenic bacteria. Hardly anyone pays attention to
her work. But she gave me the confidence that we could duplicate nature's
way of making high-quality water."

Lawrence
london@sunsite.unc.edu

Article 756 of bionet.plants: