[compost_tea] Iron Sulphate questions

Dear Dr. E.:

Can you tell me, or point me to info., about iron sulphate in alkaline
soils?

How does it react in alkaline soil?  How does it break down?  Is the iron
available for plant use or does it get locked up in another insoluble form?

I think it forms sulfuric acid when it breaks down.  Does this happen in
acidic soils as well as alkaline soils?  What is the effect of this
sulfuric acid on the soil organisms?  Does the sulfuric acid break down
into a usable form of sulfur?  Does this lower soil pH?

How does iron sulphate compare to using chelated iron?

Finally, a stupid question:  what's the differrence between iron sulfate
and iron sulphate?  Is it just a spelling preference?

Many thanks!
Paulette

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z_CBYA/vB5FAA/AG3JAA/0PSxlB/TM