Re: [compost_tea] Re: Kelp Questions

I have been pulling soil samples this year that inform
me if I apply fertilizers blindly or widespread
applications of the "multiple" ingredient fertilizers
I can be doing more harm than good. After attending
the acres conference in Indianapolis I came to the
conclusion that every speaker there had two things in
common. First off they all agreed that its important
to balance the soil with a soil test once every 2 or 3
years and apply only the amendments that are deficient
or tying others up. Start with your NPK then Ca-Mg
then on to the traces as your budget can afford.
Although some crops respond to some traces more than
others. Its important to use a soil balancing soil
feeding and not a plant feeding conventional lab. Then
they all also agreed that Dr. Elaine is the authority
on "Soil Life". Combine the two and hopefully we have
unlocked the Secrets to healthy productive soil.
--- irene bensinger <irene@trilliumwoods.com> wrote:
>   Bob Norsen wrote:
>
> >Kelp.applied directly is no more than good
> fertilzer.  Kelp applied
> >as TEA is both fertilizer and the microbes to make
> it namy times as
> >effective.
>
> I've been wondering about soil amendments, too. If
> we use kelp (for
> instance) in the production of CT, then is it no
> longer necessary to
> add it as a soil amendment?
>
> What about the other things like lime, fish meal,
> compost, rock
> phosphate, glacial rock dust, etc., etc. Does adding
> some or all of
> these things to CT replace the need to add them to
> the soil?
>
> Somehow I keep thinking that there should be already
> stuff present in
> the soil for the CT-carried bacteria and fungi to
> eat when they get
> there.
>
> Thanks again to all who answer newbie questions. : )
>
> irene

http://search.yahoo.com

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.