From: growest2002 [mailto:g.w.thomson@shaw.ca]
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 10:37 AM
To: compost_tea@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [compost_tea] Re: dechlor and water

Paulette-I think it's been mentioned that this thiosulphate stuff
works well, just have to make sure any residual salts are tidied up
by
adding a shot of humic acid afterward.

I like hydrogen peroxide myself, as the only byproduct is chloride
ions and excess oxygen in the water.  I found that bubbling for 10-15
minutes stabilizes the oxygen back to good range, not sure if humic
will do something with the chloride, tho our chlorine levels here are
very low to start with.  At less than 1ppm Cl2, I could probably just
use humic acid at the start, and be good to go (?)

In any case, the microbes seem to be brewing fine for me using this
method of dechlorination.

I've also started using the peroxide as my sanitizer between brews,
by
the way.  My experience using peracetic acid was a disaster, in case
anybody ever thinks of using that somewhat similar oxidising type
disinfectant in a brewer.  Bleach was the cheaper choice, but I
couldn't bear to be dumping the bleach laden water out onto the
property during the cleaning/rinsing each time...

Glen

--- In compost_tea@yahoogroups.com, George and Paulette Mouchet
<geomouchet@Q...> wrote:
> Can you use good old fashoned aquarium dechlor to remove the
chlorine from
> the water used for applying AACT?  Seems like this should work good
for
> folks with small brewers who only need to remove the chlorine from
an
> additional 20 or so gallons of water.
>
> Paulette

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor