[compost_tea] Re: Chili powder?

Hot pepper powders, garlic, and onions have long been classic
pesticides used in organic gardening systems for centuries.

Whatever ill effects they may have on aerobic bacteria or fungi in
the soil is very minimal.  The soil microherd will recover fine.

I usually always apply an aerated kelp/corn meal/compost tea recipe
application around my crops foliage and soil, before applying my
homemade pesticidal garlic/onion/hot pepper teas. That way I feel
better about not harming the beneficials, and building up my plants'
immune system, while I repel the pests.

--- In compost_tea@yahoogroups.com, George and Paulette Mouchet
<geomouchet@Q...> wrote:
> Does anyone have any idea what effect sprinkling chili powder on
the soil's surface would have on the soil critters?

> I'm trying it to keep my dog from digging/eating my organic rose
food.  So far it seems to be working.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/0PSxlB/TM