Re: [compost_tea] ACT Test

I'm in Southern California and have a Sotillo 50 gal machine.  At this time of year I would expect the machine to run 80-85*F.  Everyone has to start in the morning right, so that the tea can be sent for sampling the next morning?  We'll need to compare machine sizes in paired groups, there is no way to compare a 5 gal with a 50 gal brew . .  too many unknowns.  Maybe 50's and 100's could compare but even that is a stretch.  We should be able to find four people with approximately the same sized machines, whether commercial or home made, I would hope.  I would suggest we use our combined experiences to come up with a recipe that can be agreed on.  I think everyone needs to chime in on what size machines they have.  I'd be willing to be secretary if everyone will just use the same heading like the ACT Test that is now in the subject line.

Dave Sotillo 50
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2003 6:30 AM
Subject: [compost_tea] ACT Test

Jeff, thanks for that good news.  Now we have a standard compost.

What are the next steps?

What will be the standard recipe for the size of the machine, temperature, etc.?

Should ingredients be determined by SFI?

Should compost amounts be determined by SFI or the manufacturer of the brewer?

Which one of you will take the lead and put this shebang together? (I imagine there

would be e-mails off-list in handling this.)

Who out there is willing to participate in testing? Lurkers are needed and wanted.

How many are participating and which brewers are included?

If the brewer manufacturers are not on this list will they be contacted to join the test?

Judi