[compost_tea] Re: Tea batch size and active F and B results

Jeff Lowenfels said:
We have clients who make and test tea using  different batch sizes ranging
from 30 gallons to over 100 per brew.  There doesn't seem to be that much
difference in their tests....This isn't scientific, of course, but our
observation using the same humus and very similar formulas.

Jeff, have you examined this collected data with an eye for comparing the
results on the basis of container size?  It occurs to me that without the
data from these tests (or some of them), we are at pains to understand or
evaluate how much "not that much difference" is in results from brew sizes.
It kind of invalidates the observations about the data without presenting
validating data, if you will.

Paul's tests are all quite acceptable, and hence, one could say, there is
not "that much difference" in his results, either.  If your customers have
any interest in sharing their data, I think the numbers will provoke a lot
of conversation and observation that the interpretation of the results
without the numbers simply cannot provide.

The data could put us in a position to make observations that will lead us
forward.  Without data, we have not come any closer to answering the
question posed about batch size and differences in numbers, or making
observations about what other factors could be at play here, but we have had
a conversation about what we think might be occurring, which can be
misleading.  I find that with my land care business, it is possible to go
down the wrong avenue quite easily when caring for a plant without getting a
soil test, or identifying the cause of a problem.  I also take photographs
because my memory about what a garden looked like in June or plant condition
was in May just is not accurate.  In fact, I find that I tend to color my
observations even several hours or days later.  So I take a page from
Sergeant Friday's book here and encourage "just the facts".

Paul Sachs's data does not include the amount of compost he added, and that
would be useful information.  Paul, do you have that information recorded
for any or all of your tests?  Also, Paul, could you please tell us what
kind of containers you are using and their sizes so that we can consider
container size/shape as a variable when comparing results?

Many thanks.

Chris Reid

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/0PSxlB/TM