Re: [compost_tea] Re: withholding period

Tom, it may be unwise to suggest total confidence in the ACT being safe to eat/ drink in small doses as would be on produce.  As you suggest some compost piles are not under great management.  Tests were conducted SFI to demonstrate that compost WITH E coli if brewed with good O2 eliminated that pathogen and others..

 We are told to avoid chemical poison spraying produce for XX days before marketing because poisons may wash or oxidize or otherwise be reduced by time thus reducing the hazards to the consumer.  A withholding period is needed.  We are trained to wash off the poisons that come on pesticide treated produce.  Some may wash off.
What Seaneen and I wanted to convey was that ACT did not have the hazards of poisons.  Did not need a withholding period.  I doubt that washing as is done in a typical kitchen is going to remove the bacteria or fungi that we know are not washed off in rain.
The bacteria may have significant value in our guts.   Have your read the story of how the Germans controlled dysentery in North Africa during WW2?

So Donna still rinses the sand off our organic garden stuff and I don't object.  But I still eat that wet strawberry.

tomjasz <tom@livesoil.com> wrote:
Seaneen,

One heck of a lot of "if" and qualifications. As good stewards and
responsible representatives, perhaps it would be better to advise
washing foods after having treated with ACT? I haven't seen many home
owner compost piles tested or properly maintained and few commercial
piles either, why risk the dangers of an undocumented claim of safety?

tomj

--- In compost_tea@yahoogroups.com, creatgardn@a... wrote:
> Hello Clayton and welcome to the group. I have been applying
compost tea for
> over 5 years now and I do like Bob N. said "eat the fruit while
it's still
> wet." I have never had a problem. That's the beauty of CT Just make
sure if there
> is any animal waste (manure) used in the making of your compost --
that it
> has been fully composted. That way no chance of human pathogens.
Best bet is to
> use verma compost, Alaska humas or a good compost from a reliable
source that
> has no manure in it for brewing compost tea. If you are concerned
just wash
> the fruit or vegetables well before you eat them.
>
> Seaneen Hummel
> Director of Compost Tea Spraying services - Creative Gardens, Inc.
> Cofounder & VP, International Compost Tea Council   <A
HREF="">www.intlctc.org</A>

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click Here!