[compost_tea] OFF: Small diameter black walnut branches chipped as mulch

From: Merla Barberie <herbnmerla_at_supersat2.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:50:05 -0700

This is off subject, but I need to know some microbiology and I know
this bunch is bursting with experience in that area. Please don't be
cross with me since it isn't about CT per se, but only has the aspect of
using CT to remediate a situation. Thanks, Merla

We are ready to lay down our mulching test plots for weed control in a
split plot design over emerging common tansy. They are 1) 3" of cedar
chips over newspaper 2)3" cedar chips alone 3) control 4) 3" hardwood
chips over newspaper 5) 3"hardwood chips alone 6) control.

Our hardwood chips are apple, pear and cherry. We have the option on
some black walnut branches. I've read up on them on the net and black
walnut exudes juglone which is toxic to a lot of plants. I know that
black walnut oil is part of the healing regime for parasites in our
bodies, so I imagine that the chips would kill soil microorganisms. I
am wondering if I have a possible common tansy nuke here and would like
to try it, but not if it would render the soil hostile to grass and
native broadleaf plants or hurt creatures. How would you rate it
compared with chemical herbicides such as 2,4-D? If it does pollute the
soil, would it get less toxic over time or could I neutralize it with
bacteria in CT? I was trying to find something less toxic than cedar,
but this hardwood is more toxic, so you can't generalize about
hardwood. Does anyone have knowledge or experience with black walnut
chips? Would it be worth a separate test plot(s) to find out what it
would do?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/0PSxlB/TM