[compost_tea] DO2

From: growest2002 <g.w.thomson_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 14:06:55 -0000

Hi all-this subject has been touched on before.

Having borrowed a DO2 meter, it's fun to finally see what's going on
in the brew, and the spray tank.

24 hr. bubbled tap water in ETB-22 brewer DO2 9.3 (24 C)

Finished AACT DO2 7.6 (26 C)

Added 1% fish/0.5% kelp to AACT in spray tank, sprayed half an hour
then checked balance of AACT/food mixture in tank DO2 1.3

Also checked the inch or two deep CT left in the brewer for half an
hour (that the pump didn't get out into the sprayer, so it was not
being aerated, just sitting in the "open" brewer, DO2 5.5

One handy thing with this Extech (maybe all meters?) is the temp is
displayed along with the DO2. Sure notice how the oxygen level drops
as temp rises. Even without microbial action, the oxygen levels are
surprisingly lessened as the air/water temps rise during the day,
more
so as this warmer tea supports greater microbe metabolism=oxygen
demand. Kind of a double whammy.

The concerns earlier this spring about having to heat our brewers
don't seem as problematic to me now, compared to the question of how
to keep everything cool during the summer! I already had one brew
reach 86F on a warm evening, this is only May in cool SW British
Columbia. Air conditioning needed?

I guess you folks in Vegas have grappled with this...

Glen

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/0PSxlB/TM