[compost_tea] Q's: Applying Compost Tea

From: kevin john richardon <kmagic_at_backpacker.com>
Date: 28 May 2003 01:00:44 -0000

Hello All,

I am about to apply compost tea for clients and have specific questions about the application of compost tea, to which specific answers would be greatly appreciated. My contact information is included at the end of this transmission; if anyone would like, I would welcome an opportunity to discuss on the telephone or via e-mail outside of the group setting. Although this format suggests the sharing of info so we can all benefit, I do not want to hamper the group with my legnthy deliberations. So, at your descretion, does anyone have any facts about the following:

* When applying compost tea to turf in a root drench application, 15 Gal. per acre is the suggested ratio. Is this adequate or does the amount of tea need to be increased to account for aspects of the processes of transfering the tea between containers with pumps, applying... The tea has tested with great numbers yet, I am considering doubling, tripling, quadrupaling this ratio to garuntee desired ranges are maintained not to mention expectations are met and customers are satified.. Necessary? I know once I get started, testing my product at the spraying nozzle at the end of the day will produce an answer, but I am attempting to be as thorough in my planning as possible.
* When applying compost tea to turf (root drench), how much water should be used in order to apply? I am figuring 2 Gal. per 1000 square feet (sq.'). This is like spraying a 1/32 inch (") water column on a flat surface. Is this enough water in a root drench application to turf? Bob Norsen suggests that turf is not flat, so the surfaces of the grass blades may need to be accounted for, because the surfaces will account for a subtraction from that water column volume. 4 Gal. per 1000 sq.' = 1/16" water column, 6 Gal. = 1/8", etc...
* Anyone have experience configuring a spray truck? Lots of variables. Sounded like fun to begin with, Now it is becoming some what distressing, kinda feel like I am drowning (pun intended) in specifications & #s. Helpful advice, pitfalls to avoid, "If I had it to do all over again"... much appreciated. Info on systems ready to buy, or parts such as pumps, compressors, liquid volume tanks, aeration, transformers vs. gas engines vs. PTO (by the way I will be using a 2001 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax Diesel, Allison Tranny with a 6.5' box in the back, payload 3200 Lbs.)
* I have been told not to brew tea with Chlorinated water; how about diluting with it? I don't know if I have got time to wait around for Chlorinated water to "de-gas". The options seem to be: dilute with chlorinated H2O, Buy a dechlorinization unit ( anyone know about this?), run back and forth between jobs for water from my well or haul water around with me.

Thanks yall, I am being booted from the computer lab! Ile be in touch; please be gracious with your knowledge

Regards,

Kevin John Richardson
Local Solutions, Anc, AK

Kevin John Richardson