Re: [compost_tea] caterpillars

From: Steve Bridges <kimas_at_texasgrown.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 08:16:04 -0500

First, don't kill all the wasps! Here we call them Yellow Jackets or Paper
Wasps. They are the natural predator of the caterpillars. In our small local
towns here in Central Texas, tent caterpillars (sometimes called bagworms)
are really taking a toll on our trees. And if you've ever been stung by one
of these wasps you understand why many people pick up a can of wasp spray
when they see them nesting. But as with other critters, if you don't bother
them, they won't bother you.

The tent protects the caterpillars from birds and the wasps. But they come
out at night to feed. By spraying the Bt in the evening, the leaves are
coated, and when the caterpillars come out at night to feed, the dine on the
Bt coated leaves, become infected and die. You don't have to get the Bt into
the tents.

Spinosad is also rated for control of tent caterpillars. It is taking the
place of Malathion for control of the Med. fruit fly and is considered
organic. As I understand it, a biologist was on vacation in Jamaica and took
a soil sample from the grounds of an old rum distillery. He isolated an
actinomycete that excretes a metabolite (or two) called Spinosyn A and
Spinosyn D. When combined, they form Spinosad. And it is not supposed to
harm beneficial insects as it works mainly on plant sucking insects, not
carnivorous beneficial insects.
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/apr00/crop0400.htm
http://ipmworld.umn.edu/chapters/hutchins2.htm

Steve Bridges