[compost_tea] Re: Hydroponics vs. Soil Bacteria

From: Terence Dodge <compostea_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:22:44 -0000

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, William Kruidenier
<williamk_at_c...> wrote:
> Elaine,
>
> I have been talking with the principals of a new company in Ft.
> Myers, Florida, OceanGrown Solutions, LLC,
> (http://www.oceangrown.com) about the product they are bringing to
> market -- an ocean water solution for growing plants hydroponically
> ("oceanponically") as well as for using as a soil drench and foliar
> spray for soil-based plants.
>
> Their product is based on the 40+ years research of (the late) Dr.
> Maynard Murray (wrote Sea Energy Agriculture, ACRES USA) who proved
> the health benefits of growing plants in a diluted solution of
ocean
> water (including the sodium chloride, surprisingly). The lab
testing
> done on vegetables grown in ocean water solutions shows a far
higher
> proportion of minerals than conventionally grown produce. Their
> tomatoes, e.g., are not "watery" like so many hydroponically grown
> tomatoes.
>
> I have always looked down on hydroponics because of the absence of
> soil and accompanying organisms which I assumed were vital to the
> soil/plant/nutrient metabolism process.
>
> SO -- questions:
>
> 1. How do microorganisms in sea water compare to microorganism in
soil?

> 2. Can CT be used as a hydroponic food source? Alone or with other
> amendments added?
>
> 3. Would the sodium chloride in DILUTED sea water harm the
> microorganisms in CT if the two were mixed?
>
> 4. What is your response to lab tests showing (alleged -- I don't
> have the numbers) higher mineral counts in produce grown out of
soil
> rather than in soil? What does this say about the "soil food web?"
>
> Trying to understand the process --

a) Well they make money (short term) while we finish destroying the
land.
b) after finishing off the ocean (limited by our land resources) we
die.
c) Not sustainable (technos will not save our egos).
d) What decision process are engaged here?

Terence (very land based, but dependent on the ocean)

> Tx,
>
> William K.

Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges and get your order fast!
FREE shipping on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. Shop at Myinks.com!
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/v2G7ND/KfUGAA/ySSFAA/0PSxlB/TM