RE: [compost_tea] NOFC - Compost Tea

From: Judi Stewart <js_at_olympus.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:07:33 -0700

Bob,

The Azomite form I use is the rock dust.

I had used Azomite as a non-caking agent in my poultry feed. I put heaps
of it in my general fertilizer mix which I use in all my
plantings. Soil Food Web suggested using rock dust as a surface for
the fungi to stick to, so I used it in my brew. Now I'll add
it to the nutrients and mix it with the compost several days before I
brew, as you suggested. I bought the Azomite from Peaceful Valley Farm
Supply for $14.95 for a 44 # bag. This is their website:

http://www.groworganic.com/

Some local quarry granite dust will go in the next brew for the same
purpose.

Judi

Azomite - A Source of Minerals & Trace Elements
Azomite is the name of a special rock in Utah. Early this century
geological prospector Rollin Anderson found deposits of montmorillonite
clay in a valley south of Salt Lake City. U.S. Bureau of Mines analysis
showed the clay is similar to Chilean/Peruvian caliche rocks from which
much of the world's nitrate was mined. Anderson ground montmorillonite
as fine as possible, then put it in his garden. Results were amazing and
nearly immediate. Minerals in Azomite are necessary to optimal
metabolism in living things. Ground to dust, minerals are small enough
to pass through cell walls of organisms.

Azomite is natural mined rock from a specific volcanic deposit in
central Utah marketed as a free-flowing, less than 200 mesh, tan to pink
powder with a density of 48 lbs./cubic foot. Shipped in bulk ($350/ton)
or 40 lb. paper sacks ($19). No additives, synthetics or fillers.
Mineralogically, Azomite is rhyolitic tuff breccia. Chemically, it's
hydrated sodium calcium aluminosilicate. U.S. Code of Federal
Regulations (21 CFR 582.2729) lists it as "anti-caking agent." It's
"generally recognized as safe" (GRAS) by FDA for feeds up to 2% by
weight. Odorless, insoluble (1%). Azomite has 67 major and trace
elements, so its name means "A to Z Of Minerals Including Trace
Elements." Typical analysis shows every element that's beneficial to
plants and animals, and other elements (micro-nutrients) scientists
believe essential. Any contaminants are within American Feed Control
Officials guidelines.

Azomite was mined since 1942 as soil amendment and livestock feed
additive. Cattlemen report faster weight gain, improved feed efficiency,
upgraded meat quality, greater disease resistance, reduced mortality.
Dairymen report increased milk, higher butterfat. Poultry producers
report enhanced egg fertility and shell quality. Crop farmers report
improved growth, health, size. Potatoes report 19-60% increase in yield;
sugar beets are larger, with higher sugar content. Citrus growers report
improved recovery from decline, healthier trees. In 1988 Peak Minerals,
Inc. acquired the deposit and initiated accredited research in Colorado,
Utah, Florida, and Georgia. Studies in broiler chicken, mycotoxin,
citrus, and crops indicate benefits and are available by request.
Currently approved for organic farming in California, Colorado, Oregon,
and Washington. Research recommends 300-600 lbs./acre broadcast, or 2
lbs./10 sq. ft in gardens. Users are testing row and foliar application.