Re: [compost_tea] triple superphosphate and roses

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:59:08 EDT

I agree with Shane Gishford on the MAP and DAP issue.

When we have a problem that has developed, and need to tweak things TODAY,
you need to understand the chemicals that are the least biologically detrimental
and that can do the immediate chemical tweaking. But to prevent ever having
to do the chemcial man-handling and fertilizer additions again, you need to
get the biology in proper form and ratios. Aerobic bacterial-dominance gives
you alkaline soil, beneficial fungal dominance gives you soil between pH 5.5 and
7. Anaerobic bacteria start dropping soil toward the extremely low pH
ranges. Is the biology going to get to the right ratio immedaitely? Not likely.
It can take 6 weeks, to 6 months, to 3 years, depending how much you pay
attention to the needs of the biology and are willing to do the work to return the
correct biology, and maintain the correct biology.

Shane has had outstanding results with the use of the SFI approach and
understands how to marry together soil biology, soil chemistry and plant production.

He's a great resource and those of you in OZ should consider getting him out
to speak to your groups about using soil biology and testing soil
biology/chemistry properly.

In my experience, Shane understands a great deal about the transition period
from totally toxic chemical use, to incorporating some biology, to getting
more biological, to fully biological (where the biology in the soil does the work
it's supposed to do, and humans have more of a fine-tuning, supervisory
role).

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.

www.soilfoodweb.com
SFI Oregon, USA
SFI Australia
SFI New York
SFI Europe
SFI New Zealand

"Hope is not a feeling. It is not the belief that things will turn out well,
but the conviction that what we are doing makes sense, no matter how things
turn out." -- Vaclav Havel, former President of the Czech Republic